[pct-l] Pygmy and the Rhinoceros

Trail Pygmy trailpygmy at hotmail.com
Wed Aug 16 16:41:17 CDT 2006

Before I start getting any negative replies to my last post let me say this:
The Saufly's, Meadow Ed, Meadow Mary, The ADZ folks (you know who you are)
and an unmentionable amount of hikers and townies have been wonderful and I
have no criticisizms on their contribution to the PCT community. I have had
such wonderful experiences with these folks it almost brings me to tears. I
would like to take this opportunity to say MAHALO NUI!

My main point is that there are folks out there (that I will refrain from
naming) that are blatantly biased. I've been directed to certain trail
"angels" only to be looked at up and down and nearly turned away. I was made
to feel as if I were an imposition before they even got to know me. I
wondered why they even offered to be of service. I came to this one junction
on the trail with a note that offered rides to town and other pleasantries
only to be pointed to the way off the property. Boy was that awkward. And I
was on my best behavior.

When I took up temporary residence in Lone Pine I took a few hikers in and
realized how difficult it was to actually BE a trail angel. My hat goes off
to you! I was not suited for it at all. My plumbing was not functional, I
had no extra money for food or water to offer hikers and on top of it all,
I'm a neat freak... NOT conducive to harboring thru-hikers with their
"exploding packs" as Meadow Ed calls 'em.

No... I love my trail angels/devils. I will never take them for granted. And
in general I love the hiking community. Trash the trail and you have my full
scorn. Beware the scorn of a Pygmy! lol

ps- I also love Rhinoceros! Cute lil horns n all... 21 more days til I'm
back on the trail. YEEEHAW! Still looking for a ride from Arcata to Tuolumne
and still looking for a light 5 to 15 degree bag??? COWBOY UP!!! uh, sorry.