[pct-l] Noob here. Info on Ashland to Crater Lake?

Monty Tam metam01 at earthlink.net
Mon Aug 21 10:20:05 CDT 2006

Welcome to the list.

I love the section you are talking about.  I hiked it in 04 and 05.  I like
to take alternate (old PCT) routes for a few reasons.  One is a lot more
water.  I like more trees and more lakes.

I don't know anything about fire closings in Oregon, or trail conditions
right now.  That's still something to check on.  I've heard there were
fires in Oregon.  In the fall, snow is a possibility, especially as you
approach Crater lake.

>From south to north:

The first possibility to vary from the trail is when you reach the
Greensprings summit, mile 1743.9 or 17 1/2 miles out of Ashland.
One mile East on that road is the Greensprings Inn with home made desserts.
Once a week an AYCE spaghetti night.  I use to live another few miles down
the road from there.
You can go back to the Greensprings Summit or road walk five miles north
back to the PCT.  There's a road right at the Greensprings Inn that leads
to Hyatt Lake and the BLM Campground that has a $2 hiker rate and clean
free showers.  The campsites are covered with a thick layer of clean pine
needles.  You don't need a sleeping pad.  Super hiker-friendly camp host.
His name is "True".

The next suggestion... big suggestion? North of lake of the Woods is an old
PCT or alternate trail that leads through the Skylakes Wilderness.  (You
can mail a resupply to Lake of the Woods, but the store you mail to has
limited hours, especially late in the season.)
This route has a lot of flat trails, trees and much more water.  For some
of it you don't need to carry water at all.
The trail head to the alternate is a little hard to find using the
guidebook map.  There is a small dirt parking area on Hwy 140.  The trail
leads west for a very short distance from the back end of that parking
area.

Take the alternate as far north as you can.  One stop I like to make,
mentioned in the guide book, is Cliff Lake.  The south end of the lake has
great camping and GREAT swimming.  The lake drops off quickly, and you can
dive in from the shore. At the far north end of this alternate you climb
back up to the New PCT.  (My opinion?  Kind of like the old "New Coke"
blunder in comparison)  The few mile you would hike on it here does have a
great view though.

A short ways up you can drop to the West on more alternate trail.  This
loops around to Stuart Falls before you eventually end up back on the
regular PCT.  Stuart falls is a cozy primitive camp with a  beautiful
waterfall next to it.  You may decide to camp there.  Twice I've spent all
afternoon there until the next morning. Cold clean water.  This is the last
of the water until Crater Lake.  Next water is Mazama Village about 9 miles
hike north and a mile on Hwy 62 to Mazama Village or there's water a couple
miles north of 62 on the PCT to Dutton Creek.  Mazama Village has showers,
laundry, a store with coffee, hot dogs, microwave  food, and an expensive
campground.  There's also an ex campground on your way into the park, free
to those who don't get caught,  Crater Lake park is seasonal til somewhere
around the end of September, I think.  The store closes.  Call 541.594.
3115 for real info.
They expected snow mid September in 04 when I was there.

After that it's a climb up to the Crater Lake rim.  Hope you get a clear
day at the top.  Awesome lake. Awesome view.

Enjoy

Warner Springs Monty

for