[pct-l] Feeding the celiac thru-hiker

Monty Tam metam01 at earthlink.net
Wed Aug 23 00:33:09 CDT 2006

I'm not gluten intolerant.  I'll eat about anything, but maybe I have an
idea or two to add to your collection.

In most cases I mail food to myself just to keep the pack weight down.

Lunch
Rice Cakes and peanut butter sandwiches.... pre made at home or in the
bigger resupply towns.  They taste a lot better than they sound.
I ate them almost every day on the trail last year.

Snack
Instant Jello Pudding

Split boxes into ziplocks.
Small box split in two
Large box split in three

Add 1/3 cup powdered milk

To serve add about one cup of water but no air to baggie.
Seal and kneed thoroughly for two minutes.
Let set and kneed again.

Bite corner off bottom of bag and squeeze like a toothpaste tube into your
mouth.

Dinners

Lipton Rice sides (but they do take a little longer to cook)

or

Black Bean Chili Dinner
 (large portion and probably too much for you)

In one lightweight plastic bag( I use Grocery store produce bags):

¾ C black bean soup mix
1 T  no salt chili powder (Bulk)
1/8 t garlic
1/4 t cumin
1/8 t msg (very optional)
1/8 t sugar
1 small pinch onion base (crushed a little in fingers)
¼ tsp low salt beef base

INSTANT WHITE RICE
¾ cup rice in separate bag

Instant rice should be placed in water at start on cooking and simmered a
minute before adding bean mix.

Stir dehydrated mix into 2 1/2c boiling water, cover, wait about 10 minutes.

 More water  to thin consistency

or

Lentils and Rice  (Very Big portion)
>From Lentil soup mix

In a small ziplock place:

1 c soup mix
1 t  better than bullion chicken base
1/8 t garlic powder
1/8 t pepper
1/8 t MSG (very optional)
1/8 t sugar
1 T powdered (ground) sun-dried tomatoes if available

¾ c instant white rice in seperate bag

Can also be made with one tablespoon chili powder and ¼ teaspoon cumin as
lentil chili

To serve add the rice to 2 ½ cups of water and bring to boil.
Stir in the rest and let stand 10 minutes.

or

Rice and beans in corn tortillas?  Or just plain rice and beans.
Use refried bean mix

A lot of hikers eat foil packed tuna, chicken or salmon mixed in with
dinners or on tortillas.

Warner Springs Monty