[pct-l] Cows

Ken Powers kdpo at gottawalk.com
Wed Aug 30 13:00:35 CDT 2006

Ahh, yes the Ohlone cows. They were written up in the local newspaper as
being agressive toward hikers. The last time Marcia was out there she asked
about the cows and got this reply from the ranger, "I am not allowed to
comment on the cows."

A technique we have used with these and other cows, horses and bears when
they seemed overly friendly or mildly aggressive is to throw up our arms to
look bigger and shout loudly "NO!" This seems to stop them in their tracks.
Then we calmly and quickly walk thru the area. But we have learned to look
back to ensure that they are not following us, too.  We used this technique
on the ADT to stop many dogs who wanted to join our hike. They were like us,
they GottaWalk.

Ken