[pct-l] "The PCT Project"

Jack "Union" Haskel hikerunion at gmail.com
Tue Dec 5 17:36:08 CST 2006

Hey Craig,

        I think I've seen posts about your project. A little logger
sewn in to your pack right? Sounds really cool and way less hassle. A
word of caution on the Solio though. Some friends that carried them
this summer were only somewhat satisfied. They could hardly charge an
ipod nano fully on a sunny day. Probably workable with backup
batteries though.

       I've definitely played with the Forest Service track but I
haven't compared them side by side. Talked with the FS people at KO
this year. Apparently the track was compiled by many different teams
of people, often using different units. They thought it might have
diminished the quality a little. I've always been impressed though.
And it's not like I carried a professional unit or anything.

      One hiker this year, a professional photographer, apparently had
a camera that logged not only the coordinates for every photo, but the
direction the camera was pointed and the time the picture was taken.
Way cool.

     Cheers,
          Jack