[pct-l] Hey all

Jon Danniken danniken at comcast.net
Tue Dec 5 19:36:46 CST 2006

Tortoise wrote:
> Re: DeLorme maps.
> Has anyone checked the accuracy of the trail shown on the DeLorme maps.
> When I did the Hat Creek Rim portion of the PCT a few years back, I took
> along my GPS and recorded our actual route as traced by the GPS. When I
> got back home, I loaded the trace into both DeLorme and NG Topo!.
> DeLorme was way off, so far as to be misleading.
>
> IMHO, one thing worse than no map is a map that is way off.

Hmmm, hadn't noticed that before (but didn't check for it, though - I pretty
much just used the DeLorme maps for an "overview" perspective, relying on
7.5 minute maps (from TOPO) for the nitty gritty).

As a clarification point, did you find the DeLorme map deviations limited to
their own Longitude and Lattitude grid, or off as far as the way the map was
drawn in relation to the topographical features?

Jon