[pct-l] Age on the PCT

Vic Hanson vichansonperu at yahoo.com
Fri Dec 8 21:02:37 CST 2006

I need some encouragement from my trail friends on the PCT-list.  Is
age really a factor in whether one should try to hike long distance?  I
don't want to buy my rocking chair just yet!

Lindy
North of Seattle

  Hi Lindy,

  Go for it girl!!

  I turned 58 on my through hike this year and met a few others who were around my age, including older. I finished with B-1, he is 65. He was hiking with his son, who went home to be with his wife and yound kids, B-1 decided to continue. Met Jorgy just after Lake Tahoe, he was heading home to Canada, we couldn't keep up with him. Larry was going strong when I last saw him at the Oregon/Washington border, not sure if he finished or not as he was expecting a job offer he couldn't pass up. Comfortably Numb was there too, he had been hiking with his son, who had to go back to school so CN kept going. There were others as well, can't remember them all (my mind is failing faster than my body!). Of course Billy Goat, also T- (a woman).

  I did find that it was hard to keep doing the big miles (25-28) day after day when we were in N. Cal. and Oregon. My body was getting tired and mentaly it was hard to keep pushing. I'm sure poor nutrition was a factor, I also ran out of vitamines for a few weeks there. If/when I hike it again, or another long trail, I will probably try to go slower. I had planned an unrealistic (for me) 4 month hike, ended up taking 151 days to Manning Park. I took more zero days than I wanted to because I was hiking with great partners and was adapting to their schedule. I probably should have taken more zeros or less miles per day but wasn't smart enough to do that. For me the social aspect of the hike was very important, I wanted to share it with friends (we met on the trail), that was more important than going my own speed to try to meet my schedule.

  Another point, age is a non issue when it comes to making friends on the trail, I had great times with hikers in their 20's to those in their 60's, and everywhere inbetween.

  Enjoy your hike,

  Sugar Daddy

Check out my yahoo blog for info and pictures of my PCT hike:
http://360.yahoo.com/vichansonperu

Check out my MSN blog for current and past photos and stories of my adventures in Peru:
http://spaces.msn.com/members/vichanson/