[pct-l] encouragement

Judith G twolegs at adelphia.net
Sat Dec 9 15:10:10 CST 2006

> From: dsaufley at sprynet.com
> Subject: Re: [pct-l] encouragement
> To: Linda Bakkar <lbakkar at hotmail.com>, pct-l at backcountry.net
>
> ... went too fast and their bodies broke down (in the case that comes
> to mind it was stress fractures).

Well, that rang a bell.  Not exactly on point, but it occurs to me that
older folks like me are susceptible to osteoporosis, although hikers
probably do better because of the foot-ground impact, than say
cyclists.  It's a good idea to know what your bone density is, your
doctor can order a test that tells you where you stand.  People who
engage in a lot of low-impact, high-sweat exercise (again, cycling
comes to mind) lose calcium in their sweat, and some long distance,
high mileage cyclists (centuries, double centuries, etc.)  are shocked
to learn they have symptoms of osteoporosis as young as 45.  So stress
fractures and fractures from falls might be risks even for those senior
hikers who go slow and steady.   I think its important to take calcium
supplements (just don't overdo!) to make sure you are keeping your
bones strong.

And don't forget to have your tetanus shot up to date before taking off
on those long hikes.

Happy Trails,

Two Legs
(starting to sound like Granny Two Legs)