[pct-l] Idyllwild and Tahquitz Inn situation

Jeff Moorehead jeffmoorehead1 at cox.net
Tue Dec 19 16:46:52 CST 2006

I am not sure of the specifics either, but I too heard that the TI withdrew
the welcome mat after most of the thru-hikers had come through Idyllwild--
so it was a late-season group. I guess one of the rooms was trashed and the
hikers were less than grateful regarding rides to and from the traihead at
Devil's Slide. I'm not sure who the group was, but they really blew it for
the hikers on this trail. I was incensed when I heard about it and even sent
the owner a postcard thanking him for the generosity he showed our group.
 This is yet another example of rude, selfish behavior leading to a true
'tragedy of the commons' on the trail. I observed this numerous times this
year. What's with these hikers that think everyone else should be so
awestruck by their undertaking that they should just receive, receive,
receive? Whereas most hikers have the humbleness in character to propogate
trail magic, it only takes one or two spoiled brats to create the fallout
and ruin it for everyone forever. I think the Tahquitz Inn situation is a
good example.
 I don't know what to suggest, but thought I'd mention this as something I
didn't expect to see on the trail but certainly, and most unfortunately,
did.
 Whiptail.....