[pct-l] Idyllwild and Tahquitz Inn situation

Adam Bradley tooloouk79852 at yahoo.com
Tue Dec 19 17:42:22 CST 2006

Hello all, Listo out here munching on fruitcakes!
Very psyched to be heading to baja on saturday.

As far as TI goes those folks are awesome!  When I
showed up after the wad went thru the owners where
bent about some clowns being a pain about the price on
weekends at the TI.  It was funny as they increase the
price on weekends which is common in a small resort
town like Idyllwild.  Evedintly the comment was "why
are you all trying to gouge the thru hikers?"  I
showed up on a off day with heidi and later split the
room with hot rod.  The woman running the place was
very nice and I tried to let her know that we all
weren't like the other rude hikers.  I went in later
and needed some thread (which came in real handy when
my pack straps broke shy of forrester) which I carried
all the way to canada.  I found them to be very
helpful and go way out of their way to help out the
pct hikers.  I in no way got the impression they were
going to be closing the door on hikers.  On another
note I found it odd that a hiker would complain and be
rude about the price with a park right across the
street with a campground.  If a hiker didn't like the
price no need to rub their nose in it.  So I went down
to the health food store and I asked the woman who
owned the store how much for organic orange juice.
She said 8$ which I thought was expensive for my
budget, but it jived with what it must cost to import
organic goods up here.  I didn't exlaim, "oh you suck,
wot you give us the shaft?"  No I just thought I
cannot afford that and kindly put it back.  When I got
ready to make my other purchases she asked if I was a
pct hiker and I said yes.  She said all pct hikers get
10% discount.  I guarantee she wouldn't have given me
a deal if I was rubbing her nose in the price of OJ.
So you thru hikers out front try to be respectful for
us behind you.  If you don't like the price work
harder and put away more money.  Thru hiking for me is
not about what others do for me, but what can I do for
others or the trails I love.

As far as whores on trail go, I thought it was people
who hiked for causes like myself who where whores?  Or
fruitcakes, or anti social......