[pct-l] SMD gear

Paul Magnanti pmags at yahoo.com
Wed Dec 20 13:14:44 CST 2006

>>These folks get free gear given to
>>them by the manufacturer so they will tout it
without
>>really believing in its durability et

Well, here is one guy (me) who PAID for the SMD gear
and was rather pleased with the results.

Found the gatewood cape to be a great shelter for my
needs. (Did not like it as much for rain gear, but
then again, do not like Ponchos in general). It is a
minimalist shelter, so it is not for everyone.

Since my base pack weight is only 8-9lbs or so
(depends on the amount of maps I use!), the Essence
worked well for me. It did not survive my CDT
thru-hike, BUT I snagged it on a nail during a break
by a bridge in Yellowstone. The silnylon gradually
ripped a little at a time. The fault was mine.  I plan
on purchasing a new Essence now that I am back to
work. (The bank account may finally get some incoming
cash! :D)

I tend to be very hard on my gear. Every pack I have
used on a major trail has NOT survived a thru-hike.
Had to replace the pack at the conclusion of my hikes.

"Durability" is a subjective term in any case. If you
are like me, and hard on the gear, surviving one
thru-hike is about as good as it gets with a pack. :)

It is why my day pack (which I use for a little of
everything: backcountry skiing, canyoneering, day
hiking for both on trail and off trail bushwhacking,
and hauling my books from the library) is traditional
Cordura nylon. A silnylon pack would not take the
abuse! For thru-hikes, I am pretty much sticking to
trail and "just" hiking. Do not need the durability of
a traditional nylon pack.

So, without knowing what slideshow you saw, the
presenter may be very happy with the gear s/he used.
That same gear apparently did not work for you. So it
goes....

Guess what I am trying to say that there is no "one
size fits all approach" to gear. What may work well
for you may not work well for me. OR visa-versa.

Happy Trails!