[pct-l] Tipping

dsaufley at sprynet.com dsaufley at sprynet.com
Tue Dec 26 17:46:47 CST 2006

GS,

I agree with your line of thinking -- it's human nature to have (sometimes unreasonable) expectations, especially where services for remuneration are concerned.  Clear communication about what is offered for the price could negate that problem. Consistency is also an important factor. The "Drakesbad incident" this year came about because of inconsistent offerings -- over time, some hikers have been comped, and others weren't, all of which was out there on Trail Journals and in the PCT Handbook, resulting in unclear expectations and a very unfortunate misunderstanding between hiker and host.  What I didn't understand was cutting off all subsequent hikers from that point forward because of a perceived dine-n-dash, but then, that's me.

I understand that about 98% of the AT hostels are either work-for-stay or pay-for-stay, and I have never heard anyone complain about it (not that they haven't complained; I just haven't heard them).  At Hiker Heaven we've experienced that some people are extremely uncomfortable about receiving what they perceive as charity, and feel better if they do something or pay something in return, so we let them.  Every unsolicited cent goes back to the hikers in one form or another.

What I don't understand is the concept of punishing the innocent to pay for the ills of the guilty.  If someone trashed our place, wrote on the walls, and carved anything on the tables, I would hunt them down and see to it that they -- the actual perpetrators -- were made accountable for the crime of vandalism they committed and paid for/repaired the damages.  I don't buy into the conclusion that because 2-3 hikers were bad (or even merely griping) that all the hikers should be painted by the same brush and lose out.  That's just absurdly ridiculous to me, and results in a three-way tragedy:  the wrong-doers got away with it, the owner isn't compensated for the damage, and all hikers thereafter suffer for something they not only didn't do, they would probably never even consider doing.

I've enjoyed this thread and hearing what y'all have to say.

L-Rod