[pct-l] SuperSecrets - Zippers

Hiker97 at aol.com Hiker97 at aol.com
Sun Jul 2 15:43:34 CDT 2006

I know everyone has their  SuperSecrets low level light on since the List has
been down.  So, here is  the latest.

Zippers can be a pain.  Even  ZipLock zippers can break and come off track.
Here are some  suggestions.

1.  Be very careful about  adding extra zipper pulls to jackets, tents,
sleeping bags, etc.  This is  very tempting to add a reflective or longer material
to make it easier to  grasp.  This might seem to make sense at night when you
are trying to  find the zipper.  I do not recommend doing this, except may be
for  tents.  Why?

2.  Zippers mechanisms are  delicate.  They can break easily.  The more
pulling power you have the  more likely you will damage your zipper.  Just use the
little metal zipper  pull that comes with the zipper.  Be gentle and slow in
using your  zippers.  I would recommend this with tents too, but if you are
very  careful a reflective material for the door zipper is nice.  You be the
judge if you can use the extra pull material gently.  Use a little wax to  make
them easier to slide.

3.  What about the zipper type  ZipLock bags?  The complaint about them is
that the lock will tear and  break.  Some people recommend the snap together
bags.  I  disagree.  The ZipLock bags work fine if you are gentle and don't put
too  much pressure on the lock device when you open and shut the bag.  I use
ZipLock bags for everything  backpacking and they work fine.  They keep things
organized, dry, and  clean.

For rain protection I recommend you  still put your bags inside a pack bag
too.  This is a large waterproof bag  inside your pack, like a trash bag.  The
reason for this is that the  ZipLocks will get very wet on the outside from the
rain even inside your  pack.  When you go to put them inside your shelter,
the outside bag water  will wet everything.

I mark each of my ZipLock bags with  the contents and weight.  If you want to
keep the markings from rubbing  off, just put a piece of clear packing tape
over it.  Works  fine.

4.  Here is a trick to stop  zippers from opening too much.  Use a little
ShoeGoo (the product I  recommend on the bottom of your shoes to keep the soles
from wearing) on the  zipper track where you do not want the zipper to open any
farther.  This  may be on backs and belly packs.  I use this method on my
belly pack to  keep the main zipper compartment from opening too much and the
contents slipping  out.

You have to decide how to use your  zippers and bags.  If you are gentle,
then everything will work  fine.

Your hiking buddy, Switchback
Conqueror of Mt. Whitney .............. Portal Parking  Lot