[pct-l] Public Notice - Mt. Whitney Expedition

Hiker97 at aol.com Hiker97 at aol.com
Sun Jul 23 10:39:36 CDT 2006

Yes, your intrepid hero,  Switchback, is heading back into the jaws of death
and high  adventure.

This expedition 14,500 foot  summit attempt will be on a whole moon night of
Wednesday, August 9.  The  goal is for the sunrise on top.

The expedition has a lot of  similarities to Mt. Everest expeditions.  Base
camp will be at the 8,300  feet Whitney Portal parking lot.  Just the drive up
to the parking lot  is treacherous and challenging.  This is like getting to
the Mt.  Everest base camp at 18,000 feet.  Then Camp Two will be Outpost Camp
for  acclimation and rest.  This is similar to the Everest's camps in the
Western Cum.  On Everest mountaineers usually stay at the 26,000 foot South  Col
before the summit push.  A similar camp will be at 12,000 foot Trail  Camp on
the Whitney Trail.  I will be leaving this camp before Everest  mountaineers
leave them camp.  They leave about 3 AM and I will leave  around midnight with
the full moon.

Above this point on both mountains,  you are in the Zone of Death.  On
Whitney you have to face lightning, trail  rim ice, lack of oxygen, wind, radiation,
and dehydration.  Yes, it is not  for the faint of heart or hikers who have
too much rabbit in them.
This will be a lonely dark trek  into the unknown of the stratosphere.

I will cashe electrolyte water at Trail Camp and Trail Crest.  This  might
mean the difference between life and death on the way back down, when most
deaths happen on Mt. Everest.

Thank you for your support and  prayers.

Switchback the Trail Pirate and  High Adventurer
PCT Hiker Est. 1970 and Class of  2013
:-)