[pct-l] Connecting both PCT's

Deems losthiker at sisqtel.net
Sun Jul 23 09:49:31 CDT 2006

I'd like to add a small correction to this excellent news post. This trail
grant will be connecting the Coast Trail to Harrington Mtn at the Boundary
Trail in the Siskiyou Wilderness; it won't connect to the PCT with this
planned work grant.  Harrington Mtn is 30 air miles SW of the Red Buttes,
and 25 air miles west of Paradise lake, where the old Kelsey Trail passed
through.  It sounds like they will be rebuilding and adding new sections
along the historic Kelsey trail from the 1850s which connected Crescent City
and Yreka to supply the gold mining operations. I hiked a section of the
Boundary Trail/Kelsey Trail past Harrington Mtn in 1991.

The missing section to reach the PCT could go from Harrington Mtn to the Red
Buttes, and this route is here on my local USFS district. This would follow
the old Boundary trail north from Harrington thru the Siskiyou Wilderness to
the Oregon Border, then go east along the Siskiyou Crest to Rattlesnake mtn
and then connect just north of Upper Devil's peak above Seiad. This missing
section would add maybe 60-75 more miles, but some of these old trails are
gone or poorly maintained. I've looked for the old Boundary trail from north
of Poker Flat, but no luck. One could follow existing trails, some roads,
some xc, and do the Harrington to Red Buttes today. I would only recommend
this route (at this time) to a very experienced hiker that can deal with
very difficult routes, difficult navigation, and crosscountry travel. This
is some of the wildest country in the lower 48, with dense forests, rough
country, where almost no one hikes today, and Bigfoot lives carefree.
A grant has been approved to connect both the PCT's, the Pacific Coast Trail
and the Pacific Crest Trail.

The 50 mile connecting trail will run from Battery Point Lighthouse in
Crescent City to the Pacific Crest Trail in the Siskyous.

It will be completed in 3 years using mostly existing trails. This is just
too darn cool; I'll soon have a trail that connects my home and my heart!

Here's the article from the local paper:
http://www.triplicate.com/news/story.cfm?story_no=2128

Scott