[pct-l] where to get off the trail at Ashland

Monty Tam metam01 at earthlink.net
Wed Jul 26 11:46:50 CDT 2006

The closest to Ashland is Callahan's Restaurant which is also an Inn (hiker
rates) very close to the trail.  It's in the guidebook at 1726.6 miles.  I
believe Yogi's guide has all the details including resupply address and
phone number.
12.5 mile hitch to town.  It is at the Mt. Ashland Exit of Highway 5.

Another option is at 1743.9 is Highway 66, the Greensprinsgs Summit.  The
guidebook says the Greensprins Inn is .25 miles NE but I think it is a
little farther.  Good homemade desserts.  It's a 17+ mile hitch the other
direction down to Ashland.

The next is at 1750.2, Hyatt Lake. The first campground, practically on the
trail, you come to is operated by the BLM, Bureau of Land Management.  They
have a $2 thru-hiker rate.  The campground is extrremely well kept.  The
campsites are very level with a bed of pine needles.  The bathrooms are
very clean with free showers.  The camp host is hiker friendly.  6 mile
hitch south to the Greensprings Inn at Highway 66 where it is another 18
mile hitch into town.  Most traffic on 66 goes all the way to town.

1769.1 is Dead Indian Road.  It will work, but has a longer hitch.

Warner Springs Monty