[pct-l] hiker sightings

Matt Geis mgeis at yahoo.com
Mon Jul 31 12:23:34 CDT 2006

Saturday night, at about 6pm, met Colt up at the top of Barker Pass, just outside Tahoe City.  I hadn't brought any hiker goodies up, but since he had heard about Pooh Corner and was interested in paying a visit, but had no idea where/what/who it was, I phoned Bill up and got the two of them in touch with one another.  That, and I was able to recommend a couple good campsites a short walk up the trail.

I wasn't sure if the guy coming up the trail was a thru-hiker until I saw the 'Saufley Electric' shirt on him.  I asked if he'd come up all the way from Mexico, and he looked positively stunned.  I then explained that his shirt sort of gave him away, to which he replied "Oh, you know the Saufleys?"  I remember from my hike and after how it was a bit of a surprise to meet fellow thru-hikers 'in disguise' (in other words, in clean clothes, no beard, not carrying a pack that reeks of three months of accumulated sweat and grime, having completed their hikes).  I confirmed that I had, that I'd hiked in '02.  Three hikers were behind him only about 20 minutes, but I had to head back home.

The last few years I've managed to catch up with Meadow Mary up at the pass, but didn't see her this year.  I'll be up again next weekend probably, and will try to put something out for the thrus, but it's a really popular trailhead, so I've yet to come up with a way that prevents any stash from getting ransacked.  Maybe a pirate treasure map.

"Walk east a number of paces equivalent to the miles in Section A, then divide the altitude of Forrester Pass by 100 and take that many steps north.  Now go west a number of steps equal to the number of times Schaeffer describes a descent as 'bone-jarring', and finally, finish by headin south the same number of steps as the Saufleys have been trail angeling."

Haven't had a chance to talk to Don at Alpenglow Sports in T.C. yet, but I do know that the city did their 2nd annual PCT day on 7/12, I think it was.  Hard to predict the timing, with all the snow, but they're hoping that over the years to come the word gets out more about the free camping and showers in town, the vendors showing up to help repair gear, etc.

Iron Chef