[pct-l] shoes

Monty Tam metam01 at earthlink.net
Fri Nov 17 18:01:41 CST 2006

Shoes in snow and water (like the Sierras):
I like a shoe that will drain and dry fast.

Warner Springs Monty

of wearing shoes with in mind carrying a lighter pack, lacking the needed
ankle support. Ultimately it comes down to what works for the individual.
I've always worn boots for my hiking experience, but thinking about finding
a shoe, probably use both throughout.My question is, do people actually
wear shoes when they hit the snow fields early on and do they use crampons
with there shoes? That's another thing, whats the reality of crampons and
ice ax? What about substituting ax for trek poles,or is that just
ridiculous. It probably varys season to season and at what time you arive.
I'm begining my research and don't own any of the books. Are the ones on
pcta.org the essentials and the best way to start?