[pct-l] Comparison photos

wpseditor at charter.net wpseditor at charter.net
Sat Oct 7 10:31:37 CDT 2006

Hi Rebecca, no harm in getting prepared for some serious snow. However, anticipating future snow levels is kinda like predicting the stock market: past performance is no guarantee of future gains. Every year is a new go round, within a range of extremes. We've seen some awesome snow years, and some frighteningly dry ones too, just in the last decade. The Sierra Nevada were buried, and the Cascades tinder dry a couple years ago. A fairly low snow year in the Sierra, and miles of PCT still rerouted to date when trails were washed out in the Cascades. We're rollin' the dice every year, for every mile. So. Figure out how to deal with new snow, old snow, high water, low water, fires, floods, bugs and bureaucracy.
So getting ready involves learning some skills, anticipating situations, and planning solutions, all part of the fun of putting a trek together, and having it all come together without problems. It's kind of like a battle plan tho, looks great on paper but becomes a moot issue when you take your first step up the trail.

Rick
Former '07 hopeful, looking at maybe '08