[pct-l] Skill Sets - Practice them

Ned Tibbits ned at mountaineducation.com
Thu Oct 19 13:52:55 CDT 2006

Bravo, Donna!

I'll never forget the moment you learned the practical reality of finding
your location by looking at a map and your surroundings while facing an
impending blizzard and miles from camp on one of Mountain Education's Winter
trips!
You thought you knew where you were and what you were looking at, where, in
fact, you were about 90 degrees off.  But that was ok because you listened,
applied, adjusted and went forward with renewed confidence!

Practicing with someone who will allow you to experience the reality of your
decisions just enough so as to learn without pain, then show you better
ways, followed by time to practice and modify to what works for you, is
priceless to your safety in and enjoyment of the wilderness.  That's what
Mountain Education is all about.

The compass is important to have along when you haven't a clue, but if
you're aware of the terrain beside you as you walk along and remember what
the topo showed you last night or that morning of the trail ahead and you
compare the two to make sure you're in the right place or you're going up
the right pass, based on geographic features, you'll never be far off nor
scared.

This enlightened awareness of your surroundings is a practiced skill that
will make for more enjoyable trips and a greater sense of confidence, peace,
and freedom in the hills!

If you want to be prepared enough to succeed in your dreams, you need to
place yourself in the situations and circumstances you'll meet along the way
to see what it takes to overcome and learn from each.  We all deal with
trials differently; what is hard or uncomfortable to one is no big deal to
another.  What we each like or can tolerate becomes the basis of your hike
(HYOH).

To quote L-Rod, when asked what type of rain wear to carry,  "It all depends
on how wet you want to get," or what degree of discomfort you tolerate.

Decisions you make and the understanding you operate upon today will affect
your tomorrow.  Every step forward is further preparation for the next.  In
our minds there is no such thing as too much preparation or the practical
wisdom that comes from it all.

A lot can be understood from reading about or listening to another's
experience, but it's in the personal application of what is understood that
practical knowledge is acquired and realized for yourself.

The only way you can prepare for hiking is to hike.  So get out often and
into all extremes to test yourself and your gear.  Every trip teaches you
something new.  Only you will know when you're ready to step away from your
front door and down the winding trail.

Mtnned

For Information on Programs, previous Trips, and Photo Gallery,

Please visit: www.mountaineducation.com