[pct-l] [cdt-l] Triple Crown of Desert Hiking-2

ed faubert edfaubert at yahoo.com
Wed Apr 4 18:49:22 CDT 2007

Hard to say whats right then.... i did 2 sections with a feller who had done all of the Ca part by walking with a GPS..........and i am not sure if i was with DTA people or not but one section we did was Cima Dome, which is the largest Joshua tree forest in the west...The year i did the death valley section we had just gotten snow so it was really pretty with lots of wild floweres and lots of beautiful clear blue water flowing but it was alki water so useless. I think it was worst seeing it and having to walk thru it and not be able to drink any..
And we did have quicksand too!
  Meadow Ed

  Trekker4 at aol.com wrote:
          The CA portions of the Desert Trail have been done by a different organization than the Desert Trail Association itself; I've asked DTA about where to get those guides or brochures, but that email was never answered. I've not followed up, but I could probably find it on the Inet.
      The DTA parts in NV & OR have guide brochures, which I own most or all of. Each brochure covers maybe 30-50 (a guess) miles, and uses text and photos to describe the route. I wouldn't call the route a GPS route; one is given a photo of the next pass or canyon or whatever, and you pick your own path to that objective. This is done on purpose to avoid negative impact on the desert, or to spread out the wear and tear. As long as it's not too foggy to see the next objective, one wouldn't need a GPS.

  Bob "Trekker"
Big Bend Desert Denizen
Naturalized Citizen - Republic of Texas

  See what's free at AOL.com.