[pct-l] Earliest Thru-Hikers Reach Agua Dulce

dsaufley at sprynet.com dsaufley at sprynet.com
Mon Apr 9 11:54:00 CDT 2007

Jeff and I were quite surprised yesterday to meet the first three thru-hikers of 2007:  Charlie, Ryan, and Lee, all from North Carolina.  These three were using only the Guidebook, and knew nothing about the water reports, Yogi's handbook, or trail angels.

Because of a bad experience they had in Wrightwood (a bizarre occurrence), they were reluctant and unsure about coming to Hiker Heaven.  Thankfully, they did come up to stay.  It's a good thing, because it was their first shower and laundry since they'd left San Diego for the southern monument on March 9 -- and boy, did they need it!

Because they only had the Guidebook, they were not aware of all the water sources available at www.4jeffrey.net . At their request, I printed out Sections A-D, and they are going to update what they encountered for the hikers coming in behind them.

This is far and away the earliest we have ever hosted northbound thru-hikers, as this is typically section hiker season.

As to the bizarre incident in Wrightwood, they stopped at Mountain Hardwear, but the trail angel info wasn't in the register yet.  Some man in the store told them that they could stay with him, and he brought them to his house.  Unfortunately, someone they believed to be the man's younger brother chased them with a bat, screaming something about homeless people and crackheads.  He connected with one of the hiker's legs (I think it was Lee).  They ran for it and escaped.  Needless to say, when the ranger at Vasquez Rocks told them about us, they weren't too sure about staying with us.  So glad they did!

L-Rod