[pct-l] Travelers cheques/checks

Craig Stanton craigstanton at mac.com
Mon Apr 9 15:03:59 CDT 2007

Wow, that got a lot of advice just during my drive to work. Thanks to all those who emailed me off list too.

Something to explain. Since I don't have an American bank account I don't think my debit-card is any use over there. In NZ we have a system called Eftpos (Electronic Funds Transfer at Point of Sale) and that isn't going to work in the American ATMs. It is unfortunately standard for the banks here to charge a fee for foreign-exchange, even though it is all electronic and they don't have to handle different sorts of cash :-(

And something to ask. I would never have thought of useing travelers cheques at a regular shop. When I have used them in Europe you need to find an official place, a bank or Bureau De Change, that takes the cheques, takes your passport, makes sure you are the person in the picture and the cheques have your passport number in them and then gives you cash. Regular stores can't do this because how whould they then turn your cheque into their bank account?

And really, they refuse to take $50s? Isn't it legal tender so they have to take it? I sure am glad I asked this question. Sure I'd have some small change but I figured bigger notes meant less paper. Do the ATMs give out large bills so I'll have to find some kind local business to change the notes when ever I get cash out?

~Craig