[pct-l] tent suggestions

Ken Powers kdpo at pacbell.net
Fri Apr 13 19:30:24 CDT 2007

You have gotten several good suggestions, but I'll add mine.

We will use a Black Diamond HiLight on the PCT this year. We have used their
First Light and Light House on other treks and liked them. The HiLight is a
new, lighter entry into their line of tents. We swapped the aluminum poles
for carbon fiber and our tent weight is 2 lbs 5 oz (37.2 ounces) for the two
of us.

Things we like about the tent:
1) we can set it up on any flat surface and from the inside. We have put the
tents up on a concrete slab during a rain storm and kept nearly dry.
2) we don't carry hiking poles. For tents that assume you will use a hiking
pole to support the tent we have to add the weight of an additional pole.
3) we sleep with our gear inside, under our feet (ok, the bear can will be
outside.)

Things we don't like:
1) single wall tents can have condensation. We have learned to live with it.
It is far less frequent in the West than in the East.
2) we really would like mesh doors on both sides of the tent for summer
ventilation, but they haven't made such a version yet.

Ken
...GottaWalk

Amanda Schuler <amandaschuler at gmail.com>:

> I was wondering what kind of tent/tarp people took on the trail.  Do
people
> take bivy sacs, tarps, one-man tents?  Any suggestions would be
helpful.

> Thank you!
> Amanda

unsubscribe or change options: