[pct-l] Patagonia Rain Shadow Jacket

Jeffrey Olson jolson at olc.edu
Sun Apr 22 21:52:19 CDT 2007

Hey Mr. Switchback!

REmember that all such reports are subjective.  I don't think it matters
what rain gear a person uses.  It's a matter of judging conditions and
being willing to walk through them or hunkering down and taking a series
of naps and letting the body recuperate.

The lighter a person goes, the more s/he is trusting his or her skill to
judge conditions and  make decisions based on experience.  I've watched
your posts over time and know you'll be fine regardless of where you end
up.

Look at the post.  Heavy rain is radically different from heavy snow.  I
spent four days in June 2005 hiking south from Manning in snow. I loved
it.  As soon as I hit real horizontal, 40 degree rain, I hated it.  My
gear did well in snow, not so well in rain.  I now use a poncho because
I get wet regardless.  I don't wear long pants - don't even carry them.

Assess your comfort zones in different weathers when you're in them.
You'll be fine.

Thanks for all your good humor...

jeff, just jeff...