[pct-l] Carbon Fiber Poles

Hiker97 at aol.com Hiker97 at aol.com
Mon Apr 23 22:55:06 CDT 2007

Well, I got my new Hubba poles from  _www.fibraplex.com_
(http://www.fibraplex.com) .  I save about 6  ounces over the original aluminum poles.  Not bad at
all.

I notice with carbon poles you have  to be a lot gentler with how you handle
them.  They are strong, but  different than aluminum.  I think the best method
is just handle them  like you are in slow motion.

I wonder if I have less lightning  strike problems with carbon fiber than
aluminum?  It would be more  important where you put your camp in relationship to
a storm.  I have  always thought it would be cool to put my tent under a
small pine trees'  branches and watch the storm outside.  Neat.  I just do not
want to be  the tallest thing around.

I like storms out there in trail  land.  I just do like them on the trail
while I am hiking, but in  camp.  Once camp is set up, I do not care what happens.

Switchback - Heading to  Warner Springs Resort Tomorrow