[pct-l] Carbon Fiber Poles

Mike Hergert mikehergert at yahoo.com
Mon Apr 23 23:57:36 CDT 2007

My wife and I just finished Section B (Warner Springs to San G. Pass) and we were using a Hubba Hubba tent with fibraflex poles.  They do seem more fragile, but are a whole lot lighter than the aluminum ones.  I think the weight savings in the 2 man tent is almost 10 oz.

  We were caught out in the storm that hit Thursday/Friday and I was very concerned about how the poles would handle the wind.  We were camped in an exposed spot at over 8,000 feet and it was extremely windy and cold.  The tent was really rocking and rolling all night, but the poles held up.  We didn't sleep much, but the carbon poles seemed to work fine.  It was a good example of the bend but don't break theory.

  By the way, it would have been a terrible situation to be using a tarp unless you really knew what you were doing.  In addition to very high winds, the temperature was quite cold.  My water bottle inside the tent froze solid overnight and anything left outside was coated with rime ice.  We wore every bit of clothing we had (which was a lot) and were still pretty chilly. Winter isn't over yet in the mountains.

  Mike H.

Hiker97 at aol.com wrote:
  Well, I got my new Hubba poles from _www.fibraplex.com_
(http://www.fibraplex.com) . I save about 6 ounces over the original aluminum poles. Not bad at
all.

I notice with carbon poles you have to be a lot gentler with how you handle
them. They are strong, but different than aluminum. I think the best method
is just handle them like you are in slow motion.

I wonder if I have less lightning strike problems with carbon fiber than
aluminum? It would be more important where you put your camp in relationship to
a storm. I have always thought it would be cool to put my tent under a
small pine trees' branches and watch the storm outside. Neat. I just do not
want to be the tallest thing around.

I like storms out there in trail land. I just do like them on the trail
while I am hiking, but in camp. Once camp is set up, I do not care what happens.

Switchback - Heading to Warner Springs Resort Tomorrow

unsubscribe or change options: