[pct-l] Planning from overseas

Donna "L-Rod" Saufley dsaufley at sprynet.com
Tue Aug 14 13:38:49 CDT 2007

Everyone's situation is different, and how complex your life is and how much experiece you're starting with, makes a huge difference.  Much is dependent upon whether a person has done a lot of backpacking for extended periods, or tried long-distance hiking in the past.  Obviously the level of experience you have will directly impact how long it takes you to get ready.

In addition, if you're footloose and have nothing else to do but get ready for your hike, that's one thing.  If you're working or going to school up until you leave, and you have to do all of your physical training and preparation in your "free" time, that takes a good deal longer for obvious reasons.  The only way to train effectively for long-distancee hiking is long distance hiking, and that is very time consuming.

It's not just the hike you plan for, it's all you will leave behind.  Insurance, finances, home, animals, relationships, etc.  Will people need to contact you?  Where, when, and how is a question you will have to resolve. Getting our our home and animals ready to put into our caretaker's hands takes preparation for just a two week hike, never mind a five or six month journey.

Food and resupply concerns is huge time consumer.  Do you care what kind of food you eat?  Do you know how many calories you're going to need, what foods will give you those calories, and how much it will weigh?  If you're planning a resupply along the way strategy, are you willing to eat Slim Jims and Twinkies if that is all that is available at some locations?  Or, are you going to mail your food in advance.  If that's the case, be preapared that laying out all the food you're going to eat -- breakfast, lunch, dinner, beverages, etc..  It is a massive undertaking not to be underestimated.

Gear needs to be tried and tested.  To give you an real example, I replaced almost every piece of gear that I owned in the course of a year's preparation to get lighter and/or more efficient.  Someone joked about it being roughly $100 per ounce to get lighter.  They weren't too far off, but it's been worth every cent.

I also took a course in winter skills -- how to self-arrest, do basic assessments of avalanche danger, and practiced fording bodies of water. I also practiced map and compass and orienteering (skills I didn't possess previously).

So, if you have all this down experience and gear wise, your home situation is either non-existent or easy to collapse and put on hold, it might only take you a month to get ready.  But if the answers to any of the questions above will require more forethought and planning, well, plan accordingly!

L-Rod