[pct-l] CA J/K/L/M in September - questions

Kim Hastings kim at stikine.org
Tue Aug 14 21:55:27 CDT 2007

Ha!  Just got the okay from my boss to take three weeks in September for a PCT fix.  I travel at about half the pace of a thru-hiker, and accordingly hiked the north half of the PCT last summer.  This time I'm planning Belden-Carson Pass, more or less, and since this will be late season I have a few questions:

1. North to south works best for my drop-off and pick-up drivers.  Is there a reason I might prefer south to north (other than starting with the climb out of Belden)?

2. Since Echo Lake will presumably be closed, could I resupply via the PO at Squaw Valley?  Any suggestions for which trails to take or avoid between the PCT and the PO?  (FYI, I don't want to hitch or do long road walks for resupply -- Sierra City is my other planned resupply).

3. Will there be water issues this late in the season that are not apparent from reading guidebooks/Yogi's?

4. Will there be any hunters?  When and where?

Thanks.  I'm stoked.

-- Twodog

Sent via the WebMail system at stikine.org