[pct-l] CA J/K/L/M in September - questions

LumberJack themtgoat at yahoo.com
Wed Aug 15 03:19:41 CDT 2007

Let see:
1. Well Bedlen is my hiking routing, so It would be a little challenge going UP with a pack, so I think you can weight that one out for yourself.
I can't think of a Particular reason why going North would be better or worse than South. I myself just have this idea, that Going North gets you closer to Northern Terminus, but that probably just because how I did the PCT. So If you got a reason to go South, I don't see why not. Its not like you going up Fuller Ridge or somthing...(8000')

2. How about Soda Springs, about 3 miles off the trail. Yes its only 2 days from Sierra City, but I didn't know anything about PO at Squaw valley.

3. I need to let someone else weigh in on that question...

4. I was trying to go to Ca. Fish and Game and get dates for you, but can't quite find what the dates were. I saw you had to go through J16,17,18 but couldn't find dates. Maybe somebody else knows. I met some hunters in September on the PCT in Washington on my thru hike. I got a good steak dinner out of it.

I wouldn't worry to much about hunters. Them domesticated bears are more likely to want your food rations though. I would be careful in Desolation wilderness and any other high use Backpacking area. Good luck...

-Lumberjack-

Kim Hastings      kim at stikine.org
     Tue Aug 14 21:55:27 CDT 2007
---------------------------------

1. North to south works best for my drop-off and pick-up
drivers.  Is there a reason I might prefer south to north
(other than starting with the climb out of Belden)?

2. Since Echo Lake will presumably be closed, could I
resupply via the PO at Squaw Valley?  Any suggestions
for which trails to take or avoid between the PCT and the PO?
(FYI, I don't want to hitch or do long road walks
for resupply -- Sierra City is my other planned resupply).

3. Will there be water issues this late in the season that
are not apparent from reading guidebooks/Yogi's?

4. Will there be any hunters?  When and where?

Thanks.  I'm stoked.

-- Twodog