[pct-l] Planning from overseas

LumberJack themtgoat at yahoo.com
Wed Aug 15 03:55:43 CDT 2007

After Reading L-Rods response, I must agree. There are a lot of factors.

When I prepared for the 2005 PCT thru hike, I was working full time.
It took 15 months to save up. Per-paring- I took about 3 months to get the finishing touches on the resupply packages and bounce box. I mailed 85%
of my food for the trail in 28 resupply boxes.

Figuring out what to put in the resupply boxes in addition to food and for that
matter how much food, took most of that time. So about 2-3 months of Dedicated
after work time to get the resupply boxes and equipment finalized.

My biggest mistake was not planning a extra day after work but before the
leaving for the hike (Zero Day). Those loose ends took almost another day.
Luckily my parents drove me to the Southern Terminus while I rested.

If I were planning on doing the PCT again. I think I could get it all together in
about a 6 weeks. But that is only because I have done it before. And I would still
allow an extra day at the end to close loose ends.

Another point is that i had all the Resupply boxes done two weeks before I left.
Even with that advantage it took everything i had to get it together.

If I were planning a different trail, like the CDT, then I would allow more like 3
months. This is because I haven't done that trail, and would have to work the resupply schedule out as well as pack the resupply boxes.

On a side note, I wouldn't bounce the bounce box as much. When I did it the first
time on the PCT. I planned 8 stops for the bounce box (including the first point).If
I had to do it again. I would plan it with only 5. You don't really need stuff from the
bounce box as often as you think...

-Lumberjack-