[pct-l] Fire closure of (north) section K detour

Brian Lewis brianle at nwlink.com
Thu Aug 16 12:25:55 CDT 2007

On Tuesday Tom Griffin and Andrew Dinsmore sent us links about a Lake Chelan
area fire.

Much more relevant and much more unfortunate for this group is the fire
closure of the PCT *detour* in the Glacier Peak area of section K (the
northern section K in WA state).  See the August 7th update on this site:
http://www.fs.fed.us/r6/wenatchee/conditions/pct/

Or this one:
http://www.komw.net/artman/publish/article_3781.shtml

Unfortunately, I and some friends had long been planning on hiking section K
starting this Sunday; monitoring this list and checking pcta.org, etc, I was
surprised and chagrined that this info has been out there for a week and I
missed it.  I called the Leavenworth office of the Forest Service this
morning and spoke with Terry, who is the one there who best knows the PCT.
She tracks various info sources, but FWIW was unaware of this list.

Anyway, there's no wriggle room.  She said that indeed, Boulder Creek Trail
#1562 is closed due to fire, and they're letting the fire burn
"unsuppressed".  I asked if she could make a guess at when it might be open
and she said likely not until a good rain.

Those tracking this list might recall the post on Monday quoting Tatoo Joe
saying that taking the original PCT is pretty hellish --- 400 to 500 old
growth blowdowns in a 15 mile stretch.

What Terry told me is that currently thru-hikers are road-walking from
Steven's Pass to Trinity, about 48 miles unless you hitch for part or all of
that.

Needless to say, as section hikers, we're going to pick somewhere else, but
... FYI !

	Brian Lewis