[pct-l] finished my PCT hike 1987-2007

Mike Sweeney msweeney at volcano.net
Wed Aug 29 13:02:30 CDT 2007

Hi Gang:  Finished my 20 year PCT hike in August - arriving at the border on 8/13/07 and Manning Park on 8/14/07.  This year I did Cajon Junction to Agua Dulce in June and High Bridge on Stehekin Road to Manning to wrap it up.

Met Terry and Connie from Indiana - they started in 86 and finished on 8/15/07.  Also, David who was born the year i started did the whole trail in 89 or 90 days arriving in Manning to meet his Mom on 8/12/07 I think.  (David was from Minesota and lives in Flagstaff now I think and just had 90 days available to do his hike)

Saw Tattoo Joe's entry at the end of the trail - 79 days and a few hours - that's about what I took to do Whitney to Lassen in 87! Amazing!

The acts of kindness along the trail were so very special - Mary B.'s water stashes down in Southrern CA. and Milt Kinney's trail magic in Castella in the 90's come to mind as I type this.

Pete Fish - thank you for all your work keeping those trails in good order!

Anyway - it's great to see the entries from the quick and the slow.  It's not the destination it's the journey someone said along th way!  (I guess that's true but I cried like a baby when I saw the destination - the northern terminus and monument - after 20 years!)

I'm writing a book about the PCT and backpacking challenges and so if you have stories of challenges/danger you faced or humorous situations or anything at all please email me at msweeney at volcano.net.

Happy Trails to all who hike and care for this wonderful trail!

Mike Sweeney