[pct-l] Hiking Pace and Enjoyment

Reinhold Metzger reinholdmetzger at cox.net
Sat Dec 1 05:53:30 CST 2007

TORTOISE,  SWITCHBACK,  compatres, good buddies, my friends, long time
no see.
I would describe your hiking styles as Tortoises & Switchbacks styles.
Tortoise, why do you feel your & Switchbacks hiking styles are the
normal hiking styles?
There really is no normal, abnormal, right or wrong way to hike, it all
depends what you want out of your hike and what you enjoy about hiking
and then hike your hike to get the most enjoyment and satisfaction based
on your own standards not on somebody else's standards.
Big miles, little miles, fast packing, slack packing, heavy pack, ultra
light, it does not matter....''LOVE FOR THE WILDERNESS''  is all that
matters...and you, not anybody else should decide how to love it.

We would be much more harmonious if we would just stop judging other
hikers by our own standards and let slack packers be slack packers, fast
packers be fast packers, turtles be turtles and rabbits be rabbits and
let them enjoy their journey their own way.

Say Switchback, what kind of operation will you have on your knees?
Hope all goes well and speedy recovery.
Maybe with rebuild knees you can bring back the unsupported JMT  to the
backpacking community, where it belongs.

JMT Reinhold
Your hopeless dreamer