[pct-l] umbrella colors

Janet Grossman janetgr at cableone.net
Sat Dec 1 12:37:34 CST 2007

>> But now that I think about it, I wonder if the material on the GoLite
Chrome
> Dome is just marketing hype.  Another consumer trick.  It looks
reasonable
> and sensible, but is it really just a way to get more money out of  you --
the
> material under the silver material is black, I think.  I am  not smart
enough
> to know one way or the other about reflective materials and  their true
value.
>  May be you know something about this.
>
> Cheers, Switchback
>

>I think the black lining on the Chrome Dome (and a lot of hats) is supposed
to help absorb the glare so it doesn't bother your eyes as much. So the
theory would be that the light-colored, reflective outside bounces the light
& heat away from your head, while the black underside absorbs the light
coming up from the ground & keeps it from bouncing into your eyes. I really
like my Chrome Dome, don't  know if the silver outside and black inside
makes a difference other than psychologically. I do know that when I took it
down when I was partway down from Fuller Ridge, I immediately became much
hotter and thirstier. And I'll add a plug for Switchback's umbrella holder,
which generally worked really well for me. I am quite mechanically-inept,
but I was able to follow the directions from his website (on postholer?) on
my own.
Janet