[pct-l] The Perfect Hiking Umbrella Reward Program

Hiker97 at aol.com Hiker97 at aol.com
Sat Dec 1 12:53:49 CST 2007

Well, I turned off my computer and was trying to go downstairs to get
something to eat and I started thinking about this umbrella thing.  It is  cabin
fever time, so I turned around and fired up the computer again.  It  is your
fault.

What is the perfect hiking umbrella?  What do we want in it?

1.  Its main purpose is excellent protection from radiation and  dehydration.
2.  It has some rain protection characteristics.
3.  It should weigh under 10 ounces, the lighter the  better. Titanium and
cuben fabrics (white only) are good and would make it  weigh probably 4 ounces.
4.  The Senz canopy design seems fine.  Those surprise strong  breezes pop up
all the time.
5.  It should be able to be raised and lowered along the trail like  the
LuxuryLite.com umbrella.  Those low branches pop up all the time  too.
6.  It should fit nicely with Switchback's Handsfree Umbrella  Holder.  This
should be no problem and under 2 ounces.
7.  May be it should have some type of reflective outer material that  can be
replaced very easily from the wear and tear of the trail.  Mylar  would do
this.
8.  Movability is optional for the sun's changing location as you bang  along
the trail.  The Senz design seems fine as a fixed umbrella on your  shoulder
strap.

I am offering a world wide reward of $5.00 American money (read as five
dollars) for anyone who comes up with this system.  It should demonstrated  at the
upcoming April PCT Kickoff at Lake Morena County Park.  I have not
coordinated this with the WagonMaster yet, but it will fit nicely into their  gear
contest.

If anyone wants to contribute money to the reward pool, feel free to do  so.
I do not want to grab all the glory for sponsoring this.

I thank you for your attention and consideration in this matter.

Sincerely, Switchback the Trail Pirate