[pct-l] New PCTatlas maps

Postholer public at postholer.com
Fri Dec 7 20:17:13 CST 2007

> Perhaps since it's done by a previous thru-hiker, these maps
> will meet the demands of hikers, and be more complete than
> any other available maps?  If these are indeed going to be
> better than those in the books, then I'll just skip the books
> and support a smaller company with better maps.

If I'm not mistaken, the new PCT guide books coming out in 2008 are a major
overhaul over the previous books. The previous books easily met the demands
of hikers. I don't think anyone has ended up in Kansas, have they?

Regardless of how pretty or functional other PCT maps are, they all lack the
orienteering narrative found in the Wilderness Press guide books. Anyone
getting into the PCT guide book business is going to have a tough time
equaling the WP guide books content, much less surpassing it.

Further, you have to consider the condensed Data Book, which I believe is
derived from the guide books. Where does this new atlas get it's data from?
It's not plagiarized or used without permission is it? Did some one walk the
trail and collect this data in one season?

The guide books are the work of many people over many years. It'll would be
a tough gig to out-do the WP books, especially by one thru-hiker.

But hey, you know me, the more maps the merrier...

Scott