[pct-l] Rescue, Sar, and funding

kmurray at pol.net kmurray at pol.net
Sat Dec 8 13:06:48 CST 2007

I doubt that most people know that a large part of Search and Rescue is
done by people who volunteer, who spend huge amounts of time training, who
have to spend their own money on specialized gear that gets torn up, and
their own money on gas to get to rescue sites, sometimes on the other side
of the State.

I have a friend that has been doing this for 30+ years, and he once
mentioned an interesting fact over the campfire:  most groups accept
donations, and are grateful for them.

When his group does a body recovery, frequently the family makes a
donation...in fact, there is one family that has donated every year for 20
years, after the recovery of their son's body.  Virtually never, does
anyone donate after a live recovery.  I always found that quite odd.