[pct-l] Lost time, poor planning - is UL so great?

Ned Tibbits ned at mountaineducation.com
Mon Dec 10 21:41:31 CST 2007

My question is:  Why wait until the journey starts to figure out what you
like or what works for you?  Adjustments during the adventure = wasted trail
time. Hiking up and down lateral trails on the eastern escarpment of the
Sierra to spend time in towns figuring out my food needs instead of staying
on-trail sounds counter-productive to the intent of hiking a National Scenic
Trail, Mexico To Canada, especially when I could have figured it out before
by taking a few long-ish summer and winter hikes. That's Planning and
Preparation.

I'm sorry, I still don't get it....

Why hike as fast as possible risking injury and enduring misery for a few
days only to veer off on a lateral route to a trailhead down 2,000 feet to
hope to hitch a ride to a town farther away to hope to find a place to
sleep, eat, and wash up (recover) to hope to find a market that might have
acceptable foods you can carry back up the 2,000 vertical feet - if you can
hitch a ride to the trailhead - so you can get back on the trail and do this
cycle all over again in a few days!

What a waste of time!!  To each his own.  If this is the "Modern Method" of
hiking the Pacific Crest Trail, I don't buy it.  Just because it is the
acceptable standard logically encouraged by the number-crunching crowd
doesn't mean it is the only way to do it. Take the time before your trip to
get to know yourself well enough to decide if this technique of hiking will
work for all your needs. Obviously, I don't embrace the Ultralight Bible.
Hiking as light as possible is excellent, but don't sacrifice health,
safety, and enjoyment to say you had the lightest pack. Light is good and
works for most people; ultralight is risky and may not work for you. How far
toward Ultralight do you go?  Try it on training trips and see if you can
stand the sacrifices to attain it, then decide what you want to do. There
are other ways to enjoy a hike.

Don't go into this adventure-of-a-lifetime blindly accepting what seams to
be good for everyone else only to find it doesn't work for you and you
suddenly find yourself in the middle of the mountains in a foreign state!
No wonder so many people don't complete this hike! Talk about
disillusioning!

If UL means I have to carry as little food as I can (requiring me to leave
the trail frequently) and to hike as far and as fast as I can to cover more
distance so the trip takes up less time costing me less, then, to me, this
style of hiking is dictated by time and money.  Have we lost sight of why we
originally liked spending time in wilderness?

For Information on Programs, previous Trips, and Photo Gallery,

Please visit: www.mountaineducation.com