[pct-l] Water Purification

Rod rbelshee at hotmail.com
Thu Dec 13 09:46:34 CST 2007

1) Distance
- hiked entire PCT and entire CDT

2) Treatment
- On PCT treated nearly everything; much less in the mountain sections of the CDT.
- used chlorine bleach. I take 1000mg vitamin C as an antioxidant to offset the hypochlorite oxidant.
- I intended to treat water in the evening and then uncap it all night to let chlorine escape, but rarely did.
- Tested Aqua Mira on one CDT section. Too expensive for me; the time and complication wasn't too bad.

3) Next time
- I'd treat much less, treating very few mountain streams and springs.
- I'd stick to bleach; it's very easy and cheap --I carried a tiny bottle in my pocket and could refill my water bottle in under a minute without even dropping my pack.

Steady Sr