[pct-l] NBs' and other lightweight shoes

Rod rbelshee at hotmail.com
Thu Dec 13 10:10:01 CST 2007

I've used eight pairs of trail runners (five pairs of New Balance, three Montrail Hardrock) and two lightweight goretex boots (one Hi-Tec and one Vasque) on various long distance hikes. With my wide feet, I have fewer choices than folks with average feet.

I like the trail runners for desert conditions, but prefer a lightweight goretex boot in the wet Washington conditions. The tread of the boots also gave better traction than NB.

On the PCT I developed plantar fascitis, which I blame on inadequate support in the New Balance. On the CDT I added custom orthotics and avoided that problem.

The Montrail Hardrocks wore out quickest, followed closely by the NB. The goretex in the both boots failed after 500-600 miles. The cheap Hi-Tecs were just as good as the expensive Vasques.

I might try the Inov-8 Mudclaw next, since it combines a lightweight upper with a heavy rubber sole.

I tried sandals but they don't work for me --too much fussing with sand and dirt and too much sock washing.

Steady Sr.