[pct-l] Water Purification

Deems losthiker at sisqtel.net
Fri Dec 14 19:36:31 CST 2007

1. How much of the PCT have you hiked?
2. What did you do about water purification?
3. Would you make changes? What would you change?
~~~~~~~~~
1.  31 years so far, but they keep changing the route and rearranging the
scenery..

2.  In 1976, I used Halozone tablets. By the mid 1980s and up until 2001 I
used water filters. I've found that most filter and/or pump filter systems
will fail. I've seen 4 Pur Hiker systems fail on the trail in seven years,
causing concern, fatigue, and failed hikes; even though I consider the Pur
Hiker the best designed water filter system I've used.  In 2002, I started
using Aqua Mira for all my hikes, and have had no problems. In 2007 on the
PCT I met two hikers having Pur Hiker problems. The first I met at Raymond
creek, one of the finest creeks I've enjoyed. He started pumping, and I told
him it's pure, feel free to drink it's soul. He worried about knowing that
some unknown critter may have unknowingly disgraced the drainage,
unknowingly even to Rummy. His pump was clogged from some other creek up the
trail as he struggled to pump a quart of water; so I asked him "what is your
backup water purifier system?" He said, "I have none, just the Pur."  I told
him, "I'm on my back up now", the wisdom of knowing which creek is clean,
and which ones I should use Aqua Mira upon. The second hiker left the PCT at
Lake Tahoe due to a clogged Pur Hiker filter to buy another, and re-entered
the PCT further south, missing a section. The third Pur failed in Evolution
valley due to a cracked case, and even though this hiker carried Aqua Mira
he still abandoned his JMT hike due to his inexperience with on trail water
strategy decisions. The fourth Pur Hiker failed in the Ruby Wilderness when
the case cracked while pumping. I don't trust water filters, based upon the
failure rate I've encountered with many different models and manufactures.
If it's all you've got, then your adventure is vulnerable to its weaknesses.
~~~~
I  judge my water by the potential upstream risks, condition, temperature
and amount of usuage by wildlife and humans. If it has no upstream risks
from trails, roads, livestock, and humans, and looks clear and cold, I
generally drink freely from it. Many of the Sierra lakes are the cleanest
water sources you will encounter along the PCT, and I've drank freely from
them south of Muir Pass.  If I question its conditon, then I use Aqua Mira.
My water source style may not work for you, since my water source here at my
house is also a wilderness creek, Little Grider Creek, and my body has
gained some tolerance over the years.

3. I have already made them based upon wildereness trials, errors, and
experience. I've had no sick days from my water choices along the trail.

 www.pbase.com/losthiker
 http://users.sisqtel.net/losthiker/pikastove/