[pct-l] Snowshoes and the JMT (long)

Marion Davison mardav at charter.net
Sat Dec 15 12:35:29 CST 2007

It seems like most thru hikers hit Kennedy Meadows south on
or about June 15, and head into the high sierras in late
June. They stand a chance, like the hikers of 1977, of being
caught in a storm cycle that dumps a bunch of fresh snow.
At best, in a normal snow year they will encounter a whole
lot of snow in late June and it will be melting out in early
July.  By mid July you will find old crusty snow patches on
the high passes and nothing elsewhere.  The highest part of
the PCT is in the Sierras from Olancha Peak to Donohue Pass.
So, the whole JMT is the highest part of the PCT, and
unfortunately most thru hikers must do it pretty early in
the year when it is full of high water and bugs and snowy
sections, and while it is a spectacular adventure, it is not
a very comfortable place.
I am a section hiker.  I injured my back some years ago, so
I am also a llama packer.  We do about 500 miles of hiking a
year, with one long trip in the Sierras every summer,
primarily on the JMT/PCT and connecting trails.  We have
been doing long summer Sierra trips annually since 1992.  We
prefer to leave home when there is some assurance that the
vast majority of the snow is gone and the ground is drying
out, much alleviating the problems with snow, mosquitoes and
high water.  We most enjoy the Sierras in August.  At that
time it is paradise.  We have had trips on the JMT in
August, 24 straight days of sunshine, no rain.
In a low snow year you can start out pretty confidently in
mid-July.  One very low snow year we had a great trip in
Yosemite, crossing several high passes without snow, in late
June.  But that is very rare.  In a normal snow year, late
July is a safe bet for starting your trip and encountering
little snow.  In a high snow year, wait until August, and
you will still see snow patches on the high passes.  In the
heaviest snow year on record since we started hiking, we
actually had to turn back and walk an extra 20 miles because
of snow lingering at the top of New Army Pass on Labor Day,
in September.
Since you can't put snowshoes or crampons on llama feet, we
carry a shovel. There have been a few occasions on Forester
or New Army Pass where we dug a path thru hard crusty snow
for them to walk on.  It was just a big patch of snow in a
dicey place.  Most of the time they can walk around snow
patches.  They aren't bothered by steep slopes.
The summer snow patches in the Sierras from Mid July thru
August are hard and crusty or suncupped.  The Sierras get a
lot of sunshine during the day in the summer and while it
may not be enough to melt the snow at 12,000 feet, it is
enough to thaw and refreeze it every  sunny 24 hour cycle.
I think you would find snowshoes quite useless in such
conditions.  You would be safer with crampons and an ice ax
if you had to do a prolonged section of trail covered with
crusty snow.  I can't think of a high pass that doesn't have
areas with high exposure to falling.
Big snowstorms in the JMT Sierras during mid-July thru
August are extremely rare.  But the area can get a lot of
rain.  Some years we had 18 days of rain in 25 days.  Good
raingear is very desirable and you may or may not need to
use it. You may walk thru snow flurries on Forester or the
other 12,000 foot passes, but once you reach the camping
areas below it will be raining instead.  If you get caught
in a snow flurry on a high pass, it is best to walk thru it
down to about the 10,500 foot elevation, where it will be
raining and you will find plenty of places to camp.
Daytime temps in the 80's, nighttime temps in the 20's along
the JMT in mid July thru August.
I know your recent experience has made you extra cautious,
but I think snowshoes would be a waste of weight on the JMT
during the time period you specified.  We have done it for
years with naught but hiking shoes, trekking poles, and a
shovel for the llamas.  The snow levels for the year would
help you decide whether or not you want crampons/ice ax/and
or heavy boots for kicking steps.
One of the tricks we have discovered--the commercial horse
packers know alternate routes over the high passes, because
they want to get into the Sierras as early as they can while
minimizing their risk.  So when I approach a high pass that
has a lot of snow, I start looking for horse tracks and
follow them when they leave the established trail.  Every
time, these tracks have led us over the pass while dodging
all the snow patches.  Yes, you may say we are contributing
to the damage started by the horse packers, but actually
boot prints and llama feet can flatten out a lot of the
ground torn up by the horseshoes.  You can observe that
phenomenon on muddy parts of the JMT, especially in Lyell
Canyon.
Another consideration, is to consider hiking the JMT north
to south.  That puts the highest part of the trail into the
later part of your trip, when the snow has had more time to
melt.  Your first big pass will be Donohue, where it is
pretty easy to walk on granite slabs around snow patches,
and such meandering does no damage.
Marion