[pct-l] Music/IPod

Alden Dale alden at cedar-creek.com
Tue Dec 18 12:09:05 CST 2007

I like this one.

I took an 8gb iPod nano (2nd generation). I would seriously consider
picking up one of the re-furbs at the apple store for $150 right now-
the old style used less battery than the new ones do, and weighed a
little less.

I used the Silva Tech4o (4.2 oz) solar charger to charge 2700mAh AA
batteries (About 1 oz each- I had 6, 2 for camera, 2 charging, and 2
charged at any time), and then used a single AA powered iPod and cell
recharger (1 oz). Total setup cost (including batteries)- 11oz, and
that includes batteries and charger for cell phone and camera.

The solar panel was able to charge a cell phone (use about 10 mins
per day avg) a Canon a710 (about 150 photos per day) and a iPod
(listened on average 6 hours a day.) I wouldn't recommend adding
another device to the list- that was about maximizing what the solar
panel was able to keep up with.

I highly recommend getting books on tape. I used audible.com and
simply download at the quality level 2. Its good enough quality still
to enjoy, and 24hrs of book on tape is about 100mb. I had the nano
about three quarters full of music, and about a quarter full of audio
books, which was about 480 hours of book on tape- about 40 books,
including War and Peace (excellent book for trips like this) Brothers
Karamazov, and many other awesome things to listen to.

I would give music and books on tape two thumbs up. Some seriously
hard-core outdoorsman (or at least people who claimed they were)
criticized me for bringing an iPod, but I didn't hike with other
hikers at all (save for about 4 hours one day) and things can get
pretty lonely. I was very glad to have taken the books on tape (and
the music was nice too to lift the spirits late in the evenings some
times.)

If you have any other questions, let me know!

God Bless,

Alden Dale