[pct-l] Can the Jacket Hack It?

g l gailpl2003 at yahoo.com
Tue Dec 18 20:14:59 CST 2007

Well, week by week, paycheck by paycheck, I'm knocking off the list of needed gear for the '08 campaign.  This week yielded a new sleeping bag, the Marmot Helium +15 degree.  Next week I hope to get a new jacket.  Dilemma:  The Western Mountaineering Flight Jacket came highly recommended and I agree, it looks like a beauty.  But the MEC Northern Lite Jacket also came highly recommended.  I feel like I should have SOMETHING synthetic in case of a tsunami on the trail...;-) and in case everything else gets wet.  (Bag, clothes, etc).  The WM Flight jacket is high quality down, but, well, it's a "puffy coat".........and I wonder if it would be hard to cram it under rain gear.  (Would the combination leave me walking like the Pillsbury Dough Boy?)  The MEC NL jacket doesn't seem to be made anymore.  It was  made with Polartec and looked warm and comfy.  There is something called the "Slipstream jacket" that may have taken it's place.  The reviews for it are great.
Whattodo, whattodo.............

Wheeew
P.S.  I already have DriDucks on board, a WM DriClime shirt (jacket actually) and a second set of lightweight Sierra Designs rain gear that may or may not get left at home.  So all I need help with is the jacket, not the outer layer.  Thanks!