[pct-l] Pants...

Jeffrey Olson jolson at olc.edu
Wed Dec 19 12:32:22 CST 2007

I can echo Steel-Eye's experience.  In 2005 I started south from Canada
on June 10 and spent the first four days of my six week section hike in
clouds, snow and sleet.  I didn't have any pants with me, and didn't
miss them.  I went up the knife edge and over into the Snowgrass flats
area in rain and wind, and found my frogg togg rain jacket was too short
(not a problem in snow or sleet) and my poly-pro shirt wicked wetness up
underneath my jacket, which led to me being cold.  However, cold legs
were never a problem.  I remember dropping down and when I hit the first
set of trees I set up my kitchen in the middle of the trail under a big
tree and was fortunate to have a fellow I named "Sweet-man" stop by for
ten minutes.  That wasn't his trail name - that I don't remember.  But I
do remember that every other sentence consisted of a long, drawn-out
"Sweeeeeet!!!"

Jeff, just Jeff..