[pct-l] can the jacket hack it?

paulcaccamo at sbcglobal.net paulcaccamo at sbcglobal.net
Wed Dec 19 12:36:42 CST 2007

I had a very similar setup to yours for my 2007 attempted thru (call me a long section hiker).  A Marmot Hydrogen +30, Driclime Windshirt, WM Flight Jacket, rain gear.
I carried everything the whole way (1600 miles) including SoCal desert.  I cannot speak for anyone other than myself, but I *never* wore the Flight Jacket whilst hiking, it is simply too warm, even in cold conditions.  The Driclime under your raingear will provide a good measure of insulation on the move, I think even the coldest hiker would be sweating up a storm after a half mile in a Flight Jacket (plus your Pillsbury Dough Boy comment is a real danger!)
In fact I rarely used the Flight Jacket except as a top-notch pillow and as a boost to my sleeping bag on the sub 25 degree nights.....but on the occasions when I did need insulation in camp, and the Driclime was not enough, well, then it was worth its eleven ounces in gold.  I kept both the jacket and my sleeping bag in a trash compacter bag and they never got wet.
Further caveats.....I have yet to hike the two wet states (that is next summer's section hike) so the conditions may warrant a different strategy.  But I think even in a cold rainstorm in WA I would not be wearing the down jacket while hiking.
I have no experience with the other jacket you mentioned, but you can't go wrong with a Flight jacket if you're set on down.