[pct-l] Any Update on Closures?

Shutterbug steiner shutterbugg313 at yahoo.com
Thu Dec 20 14:18:59 CST 2007

Below are two items I copied from the San Bernardino National Forest (Sect B & C).  The whitewater area was a fire last year and the fire in Big Bear was this fall.  As you state traditionally they will allow thru hikers THROUGH, there is very little enforcement and it sounds like a reroute is in the works around Holcomb Creek .  Sorry no newer info --- the forest service is not very forthcoming.

  SB

  PCT - BLM Whitewater Area Closure does not include PCT through hikers (CalFire News Release   BLM Whitewater Area Closure Order)

  Pacific Crest Trail - Big Bear Area- The PCT will remain closed from the 3N16/Holcomb Creek crossing on the west side (approx. 2 miles northeast of Crab Flats), to 2N09 (Polique Canyon Rd.) . Little Bear Springs trail camp is closed to public use, due to Butler 2 Fire.  A PCT trail reroute is being developed.

Patrick Beggan <meta474 at gmail.com> wrote:
  Any word on the state of the forests damaged in the wildfire and
wether or not thru-hikers will be allowed through? That's still the
deciding factor for me on wether I do the PCT or CDT... I know some
people noted that last time there was a closure thru-hikers on the PCT
were still allowed to pass through, anyone hear if that will be the
case again this time?