[pct-l] Forest Service matching grant

mikea mike.aken at gmail.com
Thu Dec 20 20:08:27 CST 2007

I wrote to the pcta to ask about the matching grant..

following is their reply:
If you are interested, get the check in the mail.

If you would like to make a contribution, make sure that you reference "US
Forest Service Matching Grant" so that your donation gets designated
properly.

Mike

Pacific Crest Trail Association
5325 Elkhorn Blvd. PMB 256
Sacramento, CA 95842-2526

 November 2007

 Dear Friend,

 A few weeks ago, I wrote to you to announce the largest grant in the
history of the Pacific Crest Trail Association: if we can raise $174,000 by
December 31, we will earn $504,796 from the U.S. Forest Service for
volunteer programs, trail maintenance and communications.

 As I write today, I'm pleased to report that we are *very close to the goal
*  just $30,000 to go. We need your gift to put us over the top!

 If you've already sent a year-end gift to the PCTA, thank you. But if you
haven't yet responded, please do so by December 31. *Every dollar you send
will be matched by three dollars from the U.S. Forest Service.*

 And all of it will be put to good use to ensure that the Pacific Crest
Trail remains a very special experience.

 Whether you take to the trail for a few hours or a few days, it provides an
extraordinary escape into Western wilderness. You might pass through high
desert or low, old growth forest, or arctic-alpine country.

 *But the trail is only spectacular because we make an ongoing effort to
keep it that way.* It's a team effort to stay on top of regular maintenance,
and our team includes:

   -

   Hundreds of volunteers and dozens of partner groups, under the
   coordination of PCTA, who go out on the trail every year to remove fallen
   trees, or clear mudslides, or whatever else might need to be done to keep
   the footpath clear and safe;

   -

   Government agencies like the U.S. Forest Service, which not only
   provides funding assistance but also empowers PCTA as the official nonprofit
   organization charged with overall stewardship of the trail from border to
   border;

   -

   Generous members like you, who have made PCTA the strong and vital
   organization that it is today.

 In fact, your gifts are the seeds from which all else blossoms. Without
your

support, we wouldn't qualify for Forest Service funding, and without those
resources, we wouldn't be able to recruit, train and equip volunteers.

 It is a team effort, to be sure, but we look to you to start the chain of
events that keeps the trail enjoyable.

 That's why I'm hoping you will send a gift by December 31 to help us earn
the 2007 grant from the U.S. Forest Service. *Remember,* *your year-end
donation will be matched 3-to-1 by the grant.*

 In addition to helping us keep the trail in good condition, the Forest
Service grant provides funding for another important aspect of trail
stewardship: communications with the public.

 PCTA maintains a toll-free number and Web site updates on trail conditions,
informs the media when conditions are severe, and acts as a clearinghouse
for news from the various trail sections in Washington, Oregon and
California. We also offer tips and resources to hikers and equestrians who
are planning a trip, help people obtain wilderness permits for long-distance
hikes, and raise public awareness about outdoor ethics.

 The Forest Service is chronically understaffed, so they are pleased to have
PCTA take on this role. Even at the official federal Web page for the
Pacific Crest Trail, the Forest Service directs the public to us: "The
Pacific Crest Trail Association is an excellent source of information for
anyone planning a trip on the PCT." That's a sure sign of their confidence
in PCTA, and we take that responsibility very seriously.

 For novices and seasoned veterans alike, good communication is the entry
point for an enjoyable experience of the Pacific Crest Trail. It's the start
of a first-hand encounter with the best of the West  from the Mojave Desert
to Yosemite National Park, from the volcanoes of the Cascade Mountains to
the Columbia River Gorge.

 The Pacific Crest Trail is the jewel in the crown of the national trails
system, and your support helps make it so. *Please send a year-end gift
today, to be matched 3-to-1 by the Forest Service*, to ensure that the trail
gets all the attention it needs and deserves.

 Sincerely,

 Liz Bergeron

Executive Director

 P.S. The U.S. Forest Service grant for 2007  the largest in our
history must be earned by December 31. We are very close to the goal.
Please send a
generous donation today. Your gift will multiply and put us over the top!
Thank you.

--
http://www.engel.org/ihwm  (Courtesy of my friend Glenn Engel)

"I hike alone sometimes.Its during these            Mike Aken
solo hikes that the number of  arrogant             N7OUJ
and ignorant people I have  to deal
with is reduced to one".
                        Jack Hampson