[pct-l] Horses on the Trail

Hiker97 at aol.com Hiker97 at aol.com
Wed Feb 7 19:14:07 CST 2007

AsABat writes:

Hearing  a horse running back and forth past my sleeping bag at 2 in the
morning,  waking up in the morning to find mountain lion tracks all around my
sleeping  bag.
In the Sierras I used to think that late in the day I would  just camp on the
trail or right next to it.  No one would be coming along  late in the day.  I
was right no one came along late in the day.

But around 2 in the morning here comes a horse at full  speed running down
the trail.  Scared me to death and missed me  by inches.  So, what is the deal
here?  Turns out the next  morning a cowboy comes along following the horse.
It seems sometimes the  horses break away from their pack camp and go home.
They have had enough  of packing and are headed back to the home corral.

I don't sleep on the trial in the Sierras any more.

Switchback the Wrangler